Streetsville United Church (SUC) is a vibrant suburban congregation seeking a Director of Music with an interest in growing the music program in new and innovative directions. SUC is looking for a candidate with a strong willingness to build and be part of a team to further develop music and worship at Streetsville United. The successful candidate will have technical competence in playing the organ and piano, as well as strong organizational and communication skills. He/she will meet with the Minister to develop and plan music to complement the worship service, engage in opportunities for an alternate approach to music exploring different styles, and demonstrate a willingness to be a part of the SUC community. The successful candidate will be responsible to the Church Council through the Ministry & Personnel Committee in consultation with the Minister and the Worship Committee. For more information on our church please see our Living Faith Story posted on our website.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Directing the Senior Choir and playing the organ/piano for midweek rehearsals and Sunday services and other regularly scheduled special services and events.
- Meeting regularly with the Minister to ensure that the music offered in worship is consistent with the overall spiritual direction of worship.
- Overseeing all choirs and musical ensembles, and establishing a framework for regular communication with leaders and directors of these groups including the tech team.
- Selecting and purchasing new music and music supplies which includes assisting with the purchase of music for other choirs and ensembles.
- Planning and scheduling music for regular worship services and/or special services in the form of vocal solos, duets, quartets, instrumental solos, ensembles, bands, etc. This includes preparing music for summer months when the Senior Choir does not sing.
- SUC has a Phoenix PD351 Digital Pipe organ and Yamaha upright acoustic piano.
- Knowledge of Voices United and More Voices hymn books is an asset.
- Ongoing participation in the development of an overall plan, coordinated under the direction of the Minister and the Worship Committee, including all areas of the musical life of the congregation.
- Up to fifteen (15) hrs/wk, with the opportunity to grow the position to twenty (20) hrs/wk over time.
- One (1) month unpaid holidays in the summer equal to four (4) Sundays.
- Providing music for weddings and funerals preferred.
- This position has a start date of January 1, 2021.
- Remuneration will be based on qualifications and experience.
For a full Job Description, please visit the job description on our website.
If this is an opportunity that excites you, please submit your resume with a covering letter that describes how your experience relates to the qualifications we seek to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.